Monday, July 19, 2010

Unicorns, Leprechauns, Adults with CF, and other mythical creatures

My pal-from-the-interwebs, Cystic Gal, has recently been involved in a bit of e-correspondence with the CFF regarding their, uh, PR relating to adult CF issues. Or more specifically, the lack thereof. 

Here, she's posted an excerpt of one such exchange, this time about an upcoming webcast presented by the CFF. While I probably would have responded a little bit differently, the basic sentiment - feeling a little ignored and a lot condescended to - I agree with wholeheartedly. I started to leave her a comment, but shockingly enough, it was kind of crazy-long for a comment, so I decided to just blog about it here...

If I wanted to be really snarky, I would point out that while his/her Copy/Paste skills may be remarkable, his/her mastery of the proper use of the apostrophe could use some work (see: "among other doctor's working..." But I'm not a snarky person, so I won't point this out (see? "won't!" that wasn't so hard - WAIT! I did it again!)

In all seriousness, the issue with these sorts of webcasts (in my opinion) is that (at least every one I've watched, I can't speak for them ALL) any time it's an adult/kid care hybrid presentation, it's kidkidkidkid oh,andbytheway, adultdoctorsayingthesamething. 

More to the point, while there are plenty of brochures/webcasts/other info expressly for parents and/or children to the exclusion of adults, there are few-to-no materials focused on adult-specific issues *to the exclusion of pedatric patient issues*. There are a handful that apply to, and are likely geared towards, adults (re: insurance coverage, pamphlet about working as a CF adult written forever ago, etc) but most of the issues covered also apply to parents of CF kids (re: insurance coverage, keeping your job when your child is the insurance black-hole, etc). There are NONE about adult-specific, adult-only issues, of which there are plenty they could choose from (perhaps they could have an intern crawl the internets and message boards for inspiration?).

By extension, the layperson (or even teen/YA patient) going primarily on the info available from the CFF, is led to believe that either:

a)there aren't enough people actually, literally living to adulthood to justify the resources, 

b)there are people who are living into adulthood, but for whatever myriad reasons are socially/physically handicapped to the point that "normal adult rules" don't apply; they're too sick, arrested development cases, or both, and therefore the resources are somewhat unjustifiable, or 

c) life as an adult with CF is somehow magically much easier and more mainstreamed than childhood with the disease (sidebar: I would argue the opposite), and EVERY adult with CF should be a marathon-running brain surgeon with 2.8 kids. Until they get a transplant. And then they should take a few weeks off, get fixed, and go back to brain surgery. 

As bad or worse than the flawed image of CF adulthood presented to the laypublic, is the compounded isolation such a dearth of resources can induce in patients themselves.  When I was about 18, I remember looking at the CFF site, all but expecting to just point-click-find info about, say, "Going to College with CF", or "CF and Gynecology", or "CF and Dating/Marriage."  After all, they had always had great resources about going to school with CF, what to tell your school nurse about CF, puberty and CF...so I was surprised, and a little scared, that the great info I had used growing up seemed to simply drop off now that I'm no longer dotting my "i"s with hearts.

 I didn't cohesively recognize it as such at the time, but it was a feeling of utter aloneness. I'm an only child. The closest thing I have to a big sister is my aunt, 17 years my senior. I was the first in my family going to a 4-year school.  So aside from just figuring out all the "normal" stuff as I go (as I was used to doing, since the whole "only child" bit wasn't new), now I'm supposed to just make up the rules to this CF stuff as I go along? 

WHAT DOES SUCCESSFUL ADULTHOOD WITH CF LOOK LIKE? I would then compare myself to the poster-grownups touted by the CFF at the time...married with kids, surgeons, marathon runners...and feel like a total loser. Until I read that they had their first hospitalization at age 18, or 25, or notatallyet. Then I would just get angry - the only, tiny subset I had been given against which I could compare myself wasn't actually a fair comparison. And feel even more alone. Surely, I thought, there must be SOME adults out there who have survived, gone to college, made a life for themselves, and have actually had their lives impacted in a meaningful way by this disease! The only adult I had known with CF succumbed quickly and suddenly to b. cepacia in his late twenties while waiting for a transplant. I felt like, just statistically, emotions-be-damned, that there HAD to be something between "basically normal" and "dead at 30" - struggling, sure, but making it and happy. 

I didn't find that until after I graduated college, and quite honestly, Piper was the first one who made me realize - YES! It IS out there! You CAN have CF, really deal with CF, and go to law school and live in a fabulous apartment with an adorable puppy and do brunch on Sundays and be unmarried and happy - all with this disease alongside every step of the way, not just a footnote. I don't know if I ever told her this, but I found her blog when I cynically googled "lawyer with cystic fibrosis", expecting to find a few links to Beth Suffian and a bunch of irrelevant junk. I all but lit up when I clicked over to hers and read enough to realize it wasn't simply a phrase in a post somewhere, but that the author herself BOTH had CF AND was a lawyer. Through her blog, I "met" several other people, and eventually discovered CF2Chat.com, a wonderful forum filled with adults living, thriving, struggling, and everything in between with CF (and a few awesome CF parents). They were married! They had kids! They had real, grown-up, benefits-and-a-401k jobs! They were hospitalized all the time! They had all sorts of differing views on everything from treatment regimens to politics! THEY WERE NORMAL ADULTS - who also lived daily with the reality of CF. 

To be clear, I don't begrudge the CFF their contributions to the medical research - it is not an exaggeration to say that without them, and drugs/developments they have directly funded *in my lifetime*, I would be six feet under by now. Also, the support of my local chapter, and the fabulous, overworked and underpaid women who work there, is invaluable, and I have nothing but fabulous things to say about them (particularly the newly-appointed director, whom I won't name here only so that this post doesn't come up in a google search of her). I also realize that the learning curve is incredibly steep and scary for a young family saying "cystic fiwhat?" 

But it's also incredibly scary to just be a young adult, period, these days - nothing is certain, everything is unpredictable, and no one can venture a guess as to the future of our economy, our healthcare, our retirement, our country, our world. But when you add an incredibly unpredictable disease, with very new and developing elements (as CF manifestations themselves often change rather dramatically in adulthood), to the already unpredictable mix of trying to navigate a future as a twenty-something in 2010, sometimes simply being acknowledged, having the non-profit authority on your crazy disease validate that it's not just you, X happens to many adults with CF, or publicly display a list of things and resources to consider when going off to college, starting a new job, starting a family - as much as a resource for CF adults as a supportive, public declaration of the challenges we face - would be an incredibly welcome, much-needed gesture. 

8 comments:

  1. Um, thank you for offering a grown up comment in response to my juvenile, but fun, one! Might I repost part of it and redirect to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, wasn't meant to be "grown-up" v/ "juvenille" - just an exploration of "why does this piss me off so badly?!"

    I'm having to practice and hone my grown-up, as my chosen career and field will likely involve many "conversations" that could easily turn into pig-wrestling, as your dad says hahaha.

    But thanks, and absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about everything you say. However the best part of being a normal CFer is that we can advocate for ourselves---and we are kinda trailblazers--so in lots of ways we need to contribute these to these sociological/psychological discoveries that are going on in CF in addition to those medical discoveries I am sure we have all played a part in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) As always, your blog has some astute observations and some very real emotions -- both of which are a joy to read. I share your gratitude toward the CFF, obviously, but they could definitely stand to learn from some some well-placed criticism.

    2) Isn't CG just the greatest? Her funny, spirited, real blog always inspires me too.

    3) I am flattered and humbled beyond words. Thank you. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog. I wrote a paper about this for a class once, how CF creates this "eternal childhood" situation that we get caught up in:

    The very foundations that are supposed to be helping cystics are the ones perpetuating the continuing idea that CF is a childhood illness. Foundations such as the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF) rely heavily on the donations that are tantamount to funding research and promoting medical advancements. Exploiting the disease opens wallets, and this is done with the piteous poster child. In the book No Pity, Joseph Shapiro writes, “ No other symbol is more beloved by Americans than the cute and courageous poster child – or more loathed by people with disabilities themselves” (12). He continues saying, “the discrimination issue is…subtle because it is based on the paternalistic assumption that disabled people are not entitled to make their own decisions and lead the lives they choose”(26).

    As I began accepting my identity as a cystic and assimilating it with the person I believed I was, I realized that I no longer resembled the poster child at all. I was an adult with a child’s disease. And there was still no place for me. Where I had thwarted all comparisons to the poster child, it was hard to find images of the CF adult. I learned that adults with chronic illness don’t pull heartstrings. Though our lives are still shortened by the disease, we’re often swept off into the corner so that the donations will continue to roll in. Shapiro touches on this in his book noting, “Playing to pity may raise money but it also raises a wall of fear between the public and us [the disabled]….[it] seems to proclaim that the only socially acceptable statutes for disabled people is in their early childhood. The handicapped child is appealing and huggable – the adolescent or mature adult is a cripple to be avoided” (22). It seemed to be a no-win situation.


    Anyway, I loved what you wrote, I hope that if enough of us pitch a fit maybe something will change.

    Shannon (wanderlost)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once adult CFers get over the STEEP learning curve and maturity issues of taking care of themselves after high school or after they become dosage independent from their parents (whichever comes first), they stand a great chance to live a pretty normal life, but it sure isn't easy.

    I've seen enough CFers' PFT historical charts to tell you that the 18-25 year old range is pretty rough on the lungs. If we could master those years automatically, we'd see a huge decrease in the number of CFers on the list, more CFers living independently, etc.

    Add me to the list of degree-holding, home/car-owning, married, business-owning CFers who isn't going to take this disease sitting or lying down. Even PFTs in the 30s isn't changing anything but my motivation to get into the 40s.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! I'm so glad you wrote about this topic. I just started perusing through different blogs for this specific reason. For a few years now, as I begin my adult life, I've wondered, "how is it done with CF?" Any type of research I attempted would lead me to a dead end. (And I promise, the term "dead end" was not meant cynically) I started to wonder, "do adult CFers even exist?

    The social worker at my CF clinic gave me some resources that included a list of websites. These led me to a plethora of blogs I had never discovered. Blogs written by adult CFers! What a relief!

    I appreciate all of these bloggers for the fact that they not only illustrate the possibility of CF into adulthood, but they share their feelings, ideas, and fears. Most of these feelings, ideas and fears are something I experience myself and it is such a relief to know that I'm not alone in these struggles.

    I'm so happy to have found these blogs and will continue to follow what you share.

    Best of luck to everyone <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your feedback! Piper, you know you're basically my hero hahaha, so such a compliment from the likes of you is much appreciated. I still have a card with your T-shirt check that I need to mail; I bought it 2 days before you got the call! I bought Cystic Gal one as well the week she got HER call - creepy! (still haven't sent that one, either - I HAVE NO STAMPS YET! haha!)

    Miss Gnomer - thanks for stopping by, and adorable name, btw! I totally agree and anyone who knows me knows that I'm a "beat of my own drum" kinda gal - I just wish the CFF would either represent it's adult population more holistically (as there are TONS of CFer's waiting in the wings who'd love to help) or return the focus entirely to research, step out of the way and let us "speak for ourselves" so to...speak. Ha. Great point though - I think you'll find my next post (a follow up to this one) a little more clarifying of my stance on the issue.

    Shannon - as always, thanks for reading AND commenting! I loved the excerpt from your paper, and I think it's a really important and brave, bold thing to be writing so candidly about CF life in such a vulnerable forum (the classroom). Love to you, as always!

    Jesse - I totally agree about your comments of 18-25, and it kind of breaks my heart that the normal pushing of boundaries and definition of self that results only *from* testing the waters and screwing up has such lasting impacts on CFer's. I'll post soon about MY "screwup that stuck" my first year of college (Bueller? Bueller?). Thanks for the post inspiration, and for being my tweep, haha.

    Learyloo - so glad you found me, then! I hope that my blog can be HALF the resource that Piper's was to me - I've edited the above post with a hyperlink to it (PS, SO sorry Piper!) You can check out my blogroll for more, but I REALLY encourage you to get involved over on CF2chat.com - it's an amazingly candid and genuine group of people who are loving and supportive, but won't just blow sunshine up your badunk if they've already lived through the ugly truth of something about which you inquire.

    ReplyDelete