Friday, August 12, 2011

Mix & Match Stir-Fry Recipe

My cousin, Chris, is getting married next month (on 9.10.11 - how cool is that?) and my mom is throwing him and his fiancée a shower this weekend. As part of a collaborative family present, we were all asked to submit a favorite recipe - that's all I'll say, since the rest is a (very easily logically deduced) surprise, but the relevant point is that it forced me to finally write down my I'd-starve-without-it, super-simple stir-fry recipe/technique. While I'm typing away, I figured I'd post it here, as promised months ago. 

It looks complicated on paper, but once you get the technique down (which doesn't take long), it becomes second nature, and is a really easy, tasty, and cheap way to pack in lots of veggies and protein. It's also great for entertaining, and you can seriously stretch the protein simply by adding more (and a greater variety of) veggies. Also, feel free to play around with the proportions of the aromatics - I *love* ginger, so I always add almost double what's called for here; I have friends that go crazy with the sriracha, but I can't handle that much heat. It's really versatile!

It is truly a super versatile, incredibly easy, amazingly cheap alternative to boxed meals, fast food or takeout. If you cut up and marinate the protein the night before, and pre-cut all your veggies and store them in zippie bags (or buy them pre-cut), you can seriously have this ready in about 15 minutes. Start-to-finish, it can easily be done in an hour - including marinating, and including clean-up time. This can also easily be converted to a veggie side dish by simply omitting the protein (or using tofu, for a vegetarian main dish). 

I use the awesome refrigerated herbs-in-a-tube, especially for the ginger (which - full disclosure - I could probably eat straight out of the tube). I also use a rice cooker and make a MASSIVE batch of jasmine rice at the beginning of the week, because I have been obsessed with rice since toddlerhood* so I don't have to worry about adding an extra step there**. 

* No joke - I buy a 25lb bag of jasmine rice at Costco about every 3 months.

** Sidebar - I also make homemade fried rice at least as often as this dish, if not more so, and will add that recipe soon as well, now that I'm thinking about it. It's actually really healthy - and yes, legitimately fried - and can be a great balanced, meatless option as long as you have eggs on hand.

So. Drumroll - the recipe itself. Let me know what combinations and variations you try!

**************************

Mix and Match Ginger-Soy Stir-Fry

First, chose and prepare:
  • 1 lb protein, cut into 1-in cubes (chicken/tofu) or thin strips (beef/pork)
(boneless, skinless chicken, pork, lean beef, drained/pressed extra firm tofu)
  • At least 2-3 cups veggies, cut in bite-sized pieces - you can certainly add more, to stretch your protein dollars, add in more veggies, or simply serve more people/have more leftovers - just be sure to adjust the sauce mixture accordingly. 
(zucchini, broccoli, baby corn, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, mung bean sprouts) 
  • 1 large onion, sliced
Then, in a glass mixing bowl or gallon ziploc bag, mix:
  • 2 Tbsp light oil (peanut, canola, etc - NOT olive oil)
  • 2 Tbsp cornstarch 
  • 4 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp crushed fresh garlic
  • 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger 
  • 2 tsp sugar or agave nectar
  • small squirt of sriracha sauce (or pinch red pepper flakes)
Add cubed protein and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, but as long as 24 hours (except tofu; don't push it much past an hour).

When ready to cook:

Remove protein and from refrigerator and set aside. 

In a small bowl, mix:
  • 2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
  • splash of white wine or sherry
  • a little extra garlic and/or ginger and/or sriracha, depending upon the flavor(s) you wish to highlight (optional)

In a large wok, stir-fry the onion and vegetables in roughly 1 Tbsp of the same oil used in the marinade (I use peanut) over high heat. It's perfectly OK and recommended to add a little extra garlic and/or ginger here, too. When onions are translucent and veggies are mostly cooked, but still a touch crisper than you like, remove them all from the wok and set aside. 

Add protein and marinade to wok and stir-fry until lightly browned on the outside and fully cooked. Add back vegetables and stir to mix. Turn heat down to medium, and add the sauce mixture. Stir to coat and allow sauce to thicken - be careful here, the sauce can go from "nice and thick" to "congealed mess" very quickly.

Remove from heat and serve over rice, rice noodles, on a salad, or by itself. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. That's pretty neat! I'mnot a CFer, but just enjoy your ramblings (and knew a CFer a few years ago).

    If I may, what will happen to tofu if marinated too long? Will it decompose somehow?

    And is cornstarch totally essential? Seems like it wouldn't be if you were to just serve over rice and let the rice soak up the liquid. Just curious your experience. I'm a total idiot with cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can go for pretty much anything stir-fry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hillcr. Utd.: glad you stopped by - you certainly don't have to be a CFer, haha - or be a CFer to enjoy the recipe - with the exception of the sodium, which is definitely a little on the high side, it's a perfectly fine and healthy recipe for regular folks, too! Bonus points for brown rice instead :o)

    As for the tofu - I like to press my tofu again before I cook it, even if I've marinated it - so if you let it marinate too long, esp. after pressing it the first time, it can sort of crumble and fall apart - or, if you're using super-firm, since tofu is basically a protein-laden sponge, it can absorb WAY too much marinade and end up really over-flavored and gross.

    The cornstarch is what gives Chinese food sauces their sheen and thickness - you know when you get a dish that isn't "crispy", or breaded, but still has a little bit of a coating on the meat chunks? cornstarch, baby. You could certainly omit it if you have allergies or whatever, but you would have a REALLY thin sauce (which may be what you're after, I don't know) and it wouldn't really cling to anything BUT the rice very well. The calories added are negligible, but it makes a huge difference in the quality of the sauce. Good questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ronnie - you would LOVE this dish. You can add extra soy sauce or use regular instead of low-sodium to pack in the salt if need-be, but otherwise, it fits the bill for your new eating habits, works great for Mandi too, and - key! - is GREAT as leftovers. (I use low-sodium soy sauce because it still has a good bit in it, but I like the flavor better and it's a cheapie half-way point between regular soy sauce and tamari).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't eat tofu, so I'm screwed there, but I wanted to tell you we should start some sort of rice support group. I always have a container of steamed brown rice in my fridge (I make a couple a week) because at least one meal a day is stir fry-ish. I love rice. The end.

    ReplyDelete